November Concerts in Northern Ireland 2012

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

viabuona
Gold Member

Re: November Concerts in Northern Ireland 2012

Post by viabuona »

JimmyRiddle wrote:Do you get sound with that? Could be just me but it opens up in media player and doesn't play audio?
Yes, sound and video :shock:
I use the VLC player.
maartendas wrote: I doubt if Libera will be too happy with that, as the audio is of really poor quality. This does not do them justice.
Well, I would also prefer a official video from the concert - but ..... anyway better then nothing :?
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

viabuona wrote:
JimmyRiddle wrote:Do you get sound with that? Could be just me but it opens up in media player and doesn't play audio?
Yes, sound and video :shock:
I use the VLC player.
Thanks, it works now :) It's the top registers that suffer from some audio distortion....cannot handle the combined trebles lol
Last edited by JimmyRiddle on Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

I'll watch it later. I wonder if Mack and F_D_L enjoyed the service.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

If you look very closely you might have your answer ;)
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

fan_de_LoK wrote:If you look very closely you might have your answer ;)
Oh no, is your cover blown now? Does the world know who F_D_L is!

Mercy & Love
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

JimmyRiddle wrote:
maartendas wrote:
Lauren wrote:Would be nice if someone could edit and get it on YouTube before the church removes it from their web site.
I doubt if Libera will be too happy with that, as the audio is of really poor quality. This does not do them justice.
Well the sound is not the greatest, but I don't think it's so dreadful to lead you to the conclusion that both choirs cannot sing. It's just not commercially presented dolby pro logic 7.1 surround sound that's all. If you take at face value that it's been recorded using inexpensive hardware designed for live internet streaming I think you would accept such limitations are to be expected.
You're right ofcourse, but the problem is people will treat it with the same criteria as official recordings. We all know Libera aims at a high standard, they take great care to put on the best possible performance. Church service recordings like this are something completely different. The purpose is different (religious worship) as is the purpose of its recording, and consequently the means and quality of recording are completely different as well. Yet because it's the same people who sing in the service as in Libera, a video like this gets treated as 'something Libera'. I think we as fans should consider if that's how we want things to be.

But viabuona makes a valid point as well: it's because we crave official live recordings that we satisfy ourselves with the few scraps we find...
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

There are 2 videos on Youtube of the portions of the service where they receive communion and sing.

Choirfan
Silver Member

Post by Choirfan »

So, how many of the early birds who queued up hours early in the freezing cold for both of last weeks concerts have now come down with a cold? Me included :shock:

Oh well it was worth it to hear 'Be still my soul' :D
"You are not alone"
viabuona
Gold Member

Post by viabuona »

Choirfan wrote:So, how many of the early birds who queued up hours early in the freezing cold for both of last weeks concerts have now come down with a cold?
Cold? It wasn't that cold. You had the wrong clothes - remember Belfast:

This is what you needed :lol:
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Choirfan wrote:So, how many of the early birds who queued up hours early in the freezing cold for both of last weeks concerts have now come down with a cold? Me included :shock:

Oh well it was worth it to hear 'Be still my soul' :D
Me for one and judging by Twitter a few others as well :(

Mercy & Love
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

So I need to pack my Canadian thermal underwear for St. George's? ;)
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

So just over a week ago we were settled in to the Belfast concert. I have been reflecting back and just wanted to mention two of the lads in particular who I think have progressed since the Channel Islands (not the the others stood still or anything, they were all great but these two caught my eye this time).

First up Ciaran who was excellent in DI & AV but of course his part (paired with mighty Thomas D-L) in Voca Me was performed brilliantly. His intonation and delivery of his part (the Lacrymosa, Dolorosa bit iirc) was class. Then we have Jude who supplemented his Eternal Light from the summer concerts with Mysterium. For quite some time the big 'M' has been performed by two top singers so RP obviously has a lot of trust in Jude to expect him to replace Stefan & Ralph :D We also reverted to the less dramatic version without the organ prelude or strings. I have to say that I much prefer the previous version but I understand that they have to pay the organist and that can be quite expensive so I can understand why that has been dropped. Of course, that isn't Jude's doing, he can only sing his part and he certainly did that 8)

So, for anybody in two minds about coming to St G's next week. Don't think twice. Forget the cost. Grab a ticket and come. They've had the warm up shows and they will be on the top of their game come next Friday.

See you there.

Mercy & Love
labbie

Post by labbie »

There is a new blog on Libera's official website about the Northern Ireland tour, as well as the St. George's concert. It looks like they had a great time.
sillybear

Post by sillybear »

labbie wrote:There is a new blog on Libera's official website about the Northern Ireland tour, as well as the St. George's concert. It looks like they had a great time.

I love it!! Especially the part about Tom's high D and the notes that 'went higher by accident' :lol:
Call me Cara
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

They like Ireland. Southern Ireland this time. I think this is more 'residential summer choir holiday' than a tour of sorts. According to TCRfm Libera are taking part in a mass at a local church -

http://www.tramoreparish.ie/

Nice area...

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/71143357

No online streaming, nor a published order of service so if anyone's going or will be in the local area - it would be nice to know any details about their participation.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez