Summer 2012 Concerts - Jersey and Guernsey

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Re: Summer 2012 Concerts - Jersey and Guernsey

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Very much enjoyed the high quality pictures and reviews - thanks Yorkie and all those that have fed back the reports from the Channel Islands tour.

....and this is a little concert review from April 2005 http://www.lacrymosa.org/news.html?AA_S ... a9aa&x=167 (yes there were people detailing libera's exploits long before we were on here) which was one of Josh's first tour concerts and Steven Geraghty's last 'white-robed' performance at 17yrs 264 days... fast forward 7 years, 3 months, 26 days to August 8th 2012 Guernsey and Josh now holds the record as 'oldest' performing libera member at 17yrs 287 days
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

JimmyRiddle wrote:Very much enjoyed the high quality pictures and reviews - thanks Yorkie and all those that have fed back the reports from the Channel Islands tour.

....and this is a little concert review from April 2005 http://www.lacrymosa.org/news.html?AA_S ... a9aa&x=167 (yes there were people detailing libera's exploits long before we were on here) which was one of Josh's first tour concerts and Steven Geraghty's last 'white-robed' performance at 17yrs 264 days... fast forward 7 years, 3 months, 26 days to August 8th 2012 Guernsey and Josh now holds the record as 'oldest' performing libera member at 17yrs 287 days

Booo - they got Sanctus II in 2005. It is the one song that now leaves me cold in a concert. I wish Robert would update it yet again.

I know it is popular and in is in the concerts for a reason but i have heard it sooo many times now and it is always the same. So i just tend to switch off now when i hear it.
tom413
Gold Member

Post by tom413 »

How different things were back in 2005.....

Most of the choir members have not been outside Europe before; some have never been on a plane. -Robert Prizeman
Amie_Hill
Silver Member

Post by Amie_Hill »

Thanks for the ID!
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Yorkie wrote:Matt J, who really shone at Arundel, has progressed further and delivered some perfect performances with real confidence and skill. Still looks way over the audience much of the night
He does that all the time and it looks funny but sincere at the same time :)
Your comments about him are great, I was hoping he would grow after hearing him in Arundel and this makes me proud to hear. Looking forward to hear more from him!
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
Nikki178
Silver Member

Post by Nikki178 »

I haven't been active in any Libera-related anything in the past few months... I just heard they had recent performances. I'm surprised to see Josh still performing with them (not that I'm complaining). Isn't he just a few weeks short of his 18th birthday?

Anyway, I'm still hoping Libera will have a Philippine concert in October :D Haha. :wink:
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Nikki178 wrote:I haven't been active in any Libera-related anything in the past few months... I just heard they had recent performances. I'm surprised to see Josh still performing with them (not that I'm complaining). Isn't he just a few weeks short of his 18th birthday?

Anyway, I'm still hoping Libera will have a Philippine concert in October :D Haha. :wink:
Well, I think Josh's birthday is in October if my memory serves (I'm sure he had his birthday in the 'Pines on one of the tours but I could be wrong) but you weren't the only one that was surprised!
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Nikki178
Silver Member

Post by Nikki178 »

Yorkie wrote:
Nikki178 wrote:I haven't been active in any Libera-related anything in the past few months... I just heard they had recent performances. I'm surprised to see Josh still performing with them (not that I'm complaining). Isn't he just a few weeks short of his 18th birthday?

Well, I think Josh's birthday is in October if my memory serves (I'm sure he had his birthday in the 'Pines on one of the tours but I could be wrong) but you weren't the only one that was surprised!
I think twice. The first and third time they were here. I'm hoping for another one. Hahaha! :D
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Nikki178 wrote: I think twice. The first and third time they were here. I'm hoping for another one. Hahaha! :D
I guess that would make him a Scorpio - best star sign of all Scorpio.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Nikki178
Silver Member

Post by Nikki178 »

Yorkie wrote:
Nikki178 wrote: I think twice. The first and third time they were here. I'm hoping for another one. Hahaha! :D
I guess that would make him a Scorpio - best star sign of all Scorpio.
When's his birthday? October 26th? I think they're first Philippine concert was a day before his birthday. I must have heard someone wish him a happy birthday and I followed that example. :lol:
Horticult2000

Post by Horticult2000 »

maartendas wrote:
Yorkie wrote:Matt J, who really shone at Arundel, has progressed further and delivered some perfect performances with real confidence and skill. Still looks way over the audience much of the night
Your comments about him are great, I was hoping he would grow after hearing him in Arundel and this makes me proud to hear. Looking forward to hear more from him!
I think it is his way of concentrating.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Horticult2000 wrote:
maartendas wrote:
I think it is his way of concentrating.
I agree. It looks like he's 'lost' somewhere but not because he is unfocused but because he is extra focused on something high above - I always think it looks like he is singing to angels :)
Our choir director often tells us to sing to the dome of our church. An upward focus often helps to make our choir sound more vibrant and joyful. Instead of a downward focus, where the energy just drains into our scores ;) Maybe Robert Prizeman gave this advice sometimes too and Matthew J just follows this advice as extra help to make him sing his best. Maybe looking at the ceiling helps him to direct his energy upward in order to benefit his vocal skills. Or it could be the old trick of theatre actors to direct their monologues to the little green exit sign at the back of the theatre. Or maybe it's just his own peculiar way of singing 8) (which I like btw)
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
theforestdweller
Silver Member

Post by theforestdweller »

I've always assumed this is just to avoid the possible distraction of looking at the audience and avoiding eye contact. It just seems slightly more exaggerated with some. It's certainly to be commended for making the effort to retain focus.

I notice in a number of the boys videos that attempts to focus in the distance are thwarted when some, usually the younger ones, can't resist a quick glance to the camera when they think it's no longer pointing at them :)
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe" - Einstein
Horticult2000

Post by Horticult2000 »

I think it is his way of concentrating.[/quote]
I agree. It looks like he's 'lost' somewhere but not because he is unfocused but because he is extra focused on something high above - I always think it looks like he is singing to angels :)
Our choir director often tells us to sing to the dome of our church. An upward focus often helps to make our choir sound more vibrant and joyful. Instead of a downward focus, where the energy just drains into our scores ;) Maybe Robert Prizeman gave this advice sometimes too and Matthew J just follows this advice as extra help to make him sing his best. Maybe looking at the ceiling helps him to direct his energy upward in order to benefit his vocal skills. Or it could be the old trick of theatre actors to direct their monologues to the little green exit sign at the back of the theatre. Or maybe it's just his own peculiar way of singing 8) (which I like btw)[/quote]

That is probably the case. Josh was saying just that in that Japanese video some weeks ago.
Johan
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »