Concert in Arundel - 5 May 2012

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

dani
Diamond Member

Re: Concert in Arundel - 5 May 2012

Post by dani »

Yorkie wrote:
danieb88 wrote: Few questions for those who were able to get abit closer! Who sang the final Sanctus? And I don't suppose anyone recognised the song eoghan sang at the start of the 2nd half? It was fab! He's got an amazing voice that boy!
Anyway, hope you all enjoyed like I did!
Read my review. Oh alright then. I think it was Luke on the final Sanctus, could be wrong though. Eoghan's opening to the second half was fab. Don't know what it is yet but there was something familiar about it.

Was this just for Arundel the second opening as i have heard no mention of Eoghan opening like this in Japan???
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Yorkie wrote: think it was Luke on the final Sanctus .
Confirmed :) (it's not new anyway)

Brilliant review Yorkie, thank you very much :D
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

I have to agree with Patrick :D

Great review Yorkie and a joy to read. You made it refreshing and light and fun to read. The people who did not go to the concert will enjoy i am sure.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Thanks for the compliments guys. For anybody who doesn't enjoy it blame Tom because he made me do it by commenting that I hadn't bothered to do them recently :evil:

I get a great deal of enjoyment reading other peoples reports and blogs so it is only fair to give back. I wish I had FDL's eye for faces and staging detail - all I can offer is general feelings and thoughts and (usually) a guess as to who's singing.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
phlibera
Gold Member

Post by phlibera »

Thank you for that wonderful write-up again, Yorkie. Not sure why you didn't continue with the Star Wars theme, but it's still a pleasure to read.

"Far Away" is also one of the first Libera songs I've heard/seen in Youtube (together with "All Things Bright And Beautiful" and "For the Beauty of the Earth") and it sits right up there along with my other all time favorites. I'm very happy that it's back in their setlist, thanks in part to the fans who participated in the SG poll of what 3 songs they want to hear in the SG concerts. It won along with "Orinoco Flow", I think. Can't recall which song rounded up the top 3 in that poll.

Whey you said Eoghan did a solo at the start of the 2nd part of the concert, were you referring to Orinoco Flow? Or a different song?
phlibera
Gold Member

Post by phlibera »

dani wrote:
Yorkie wrote:Read my review. Oh alright then. I think it was Luke on the final Sanctus, could be wrong though. Eoghan's opening to the second half was fab. Don't know what it is yet but there was something familiar about it.
Was this just for Arundel the second opening as i have heard no mention of Eoghan opening like this in Japan???
I think so, too. Haven't heard anything like that in the Singapore/Japan tour.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

phlibera wrote: Whey you said Eoghan did a solo at the start of the 2nd part of the concert, were you referring to Orinoco Flow? Or a different song?
Different song, not related in any way to O-FLO. Really nice touch.

Mercy & Love
phlibera
Gold Member

Post by phlibera »

Yorkie wrote:
phlibera wrote: Whey you said Eoghan did a solo at the start of the 2nd part of the concert, were you referring to Orinoco Flow? Or a different song?
Different song, not related in any way to O-FLO. Really nice touch.
I wonder if I tweet-ask this from @officiallibera they would tweet back. :D
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

phlibera wrote:
Can't hurt to ask.

Mercy & Love
phlibera
Gold Member

Post by phlibera »

Yorkie wrote:
phlibera wrote:
Can't hurt to ask.
Done. Let's see if they tweet back. :D You should really have asked this to them, Yorkie. After all you're Vader. Everybody responds to Vader. :lol:
yllwfsh

Post by yllwfsh »

phlibera wrote:
dani wrote:
Yorkie wrote:Read my review. Oh alright then. I think it was Luke on the final Sanctus, could be wrong though. Eoghan's opening to the second half was fab. Don't know what it is yet but there was something familiar about it.
I think so, too. Haven't heard anything like that in the Singapore/Japan tour.
It were a few lines from one of the songs after Orinoco Flow, Ave Verum to be exact. I recognized the sentence "quiam peccavimus tibi" etc.

I loved the fact that they didn't dive right into Orinoco Flow, it added a bit more atmosphere to the song.
May the road rise up to meet you. May the wind be always at your back.
May the rains fall soft upon you, and the sun shine warm upon your face.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

yllwfsh wrote: It were a few lines from one of the songs after Orinoco Flow, Ave Verum to be exact. I recognized the sentence "quiam peccavimus tibi" etc.

I loved the fact that they didn't dive right into Orinoco Flow, it added a bit more atmosphere to the song.
Yes! That fits :D Well done, gold star to you. No wonder it sounded familiar :? I think it is the Attende Domini et Miserere bit that sells it for me. For those that weren't there it didn't sound like the record; it was slower and almost Gregorian chant like (and of course no backing track).

It was just a snippet, not the full song, and I think it was all Latin:

http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/l/libe ... verum.html

Mercy & Love
Choirfan
Silver Member

Post by Choirfan »

Just got back from Engerland and the concert at Arundel.

This was my 6th Libera concert (my first being the QEH in 2008) and my first at Arundel. What a lovely quaint town that is. Sadly did not have time to explore the castle, but had an excellent lunch in the town and then headed on up the hill to join the fairly small queue at about 4pm, while my companion went to the pub across the road to watch some cup final featuring Chelsea :lol:

Must say had a very enjoyable time queueing and chatting to the French fans about all sorts, and also a nice chinese girl whose name i did not get. I managed to get one of the signed programs at 8 pounds a pop :shock: but i know the proceeds are going to a very good cause. which makes me wonder why they dont do more merchandising like calendars or mugs at premium prices, as the fans would pay for them if they knew any profits were put back into the group. Once the doors opened at 7pm i managed to get a pretty good seat abput 5 rows back from the front directly behind Patrick who thankfully has not got a big head :lol:

As usual i am not good here on any of the details so i leave that to those good enough to have posted detailed reviews already but suffice to say the concert did not dissapoint. Now i will say that it was not my favourite performance as i felt it was lacking a certain something by not having the 'back row' there to add to the harmonies, but that is a fairly minor quibble. What stood out for me was Isaacs performance of Far Away, he really nailed it and what an honour it must have been for him to have a solo like that given his short time with the group.

At the interval i met Daniel at the back of the Church and he very graciously signed my Peace inlay card, and was very friendly and polite. I also noticed another boy with his family and the face looked very familiar and then i realised it was Alfie Smart from a couple years back. I did ask him if i could get his signature, but he said that he wasnt in Librera any more so i left it at that. He has a brother who is now performing with the group. I also met Daniels dad, who was very nice and down to earth, and i had seen him many times before at concerts but not realised who he was.

Got to hang around a little after the concert and talk again to some of the french fans before heading off on a two hour journey back to my friends house. All in all, a very enjoyable evening. I was a little envious of my companion after he told me he had a good chat with Dylan Duffys parents at the pub who were also big Chelsea fans :D
"You are not alone"
Horticult2000

Post by Horticult2000 »

Yorkie wrote:
yllwfsh wrote: It were a few lines from one of the songs after Orinoco Flow, Ave Verum to be exact. I recognized the sentence "quiam peccavimus tibi" etc.

Yes! That fits :D Well done, gold star to you. No wonder it sounded familiar :? I think it is the Attende Domini et Miserere bit that sells it for me. For those that weren't there it didn't sound like the record; it was slower and almost Gregorian chant like (and of course no backing track).

It was just a snippet, not the full song, and I think it was all Latin:

http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/l/libe ... verum.html
Thanks Yorkie for your report, I put mine in the Yahoo forum. As to Orinoco, I thought the intro by Eoghan was part of the song, if it is part of another song why was it put here? I agree it was beautiful
Johan
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Horticult2000 wrote: Thanks Yorkie for your report, I put mine in the Yahoo forum. As to Orinoco, I thought the intro by Eoghan was part of the song, if it is part of another song why was it put here? I agree it was beautiful
Johan
It definitely wasn't part of O-FLO (in my opinion) - there was no relationship between the sound of Eoghan's song and it was sung in Latin which O-Flow isn't. I certainly remember the "Miserere & Attende Domini" lines so I think yllwfsh is right with the song choice but I guess you never know with Libera!

As to why use a different song I think it was just a nice idea to cover the boys coming back on stage. For years it has always been Mysterium with a number of staging variations but without as many deeper voices available I think they decided to try a different song (at least I'm hoping it was just that reason and that Mysterium comes back soon because it is the highlight of any concert for me). I think it provided a very reflective moment and Eoghan produced a great sound (reading back my review I don't think I gave him enough praise for his efforts on Saturday) that was certainly miles better than just watching them file back on stage and it did make up a little bit for the loss of Mysterium.

Thanks for your review Johan, I enjoyed getting somebody elses perspective.

Mercy & Love