Concert in Arundel - 5 May 2012

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

labbie

Re: Concert in Arundel - 5 May 2012

Post by labbie »

Whether or not there are autograph signings/meet and greet sessions may not necessarily be in the hands of Libera staff. I remember reading somewhere that labour laws come into play as far as the amount of time the boys can be in public are concerned, taking into account the lateness of evening performances, and that having security personnel, other than the chaperones, present may also be a consideration. I am not privy to any "insider" information, so perhaps I should say that this is only my opinion, and I am just offering a possible explanation as to why contact with the public has been limited in the UK. When Libera was in Canada last year, there were no autograph signings due to the fact that there was a busy concert/travel/public relations schedule for the group, and many of the boys had also been fighting illnesses, which necessitated getting some rest and relaxation time for themselves outside of these activities.
tom413
Gold Member

Post by tom413 »

I just now realized that while I read all of the comments about the concert, I didn't actually contribute to them. :oops:

Thanks to Maarten for his excellent review and to Yorkie for answering my challenge and posting his thoughts.
I also enjoyed reading the insights of others who were there as well.
Transportation woes aside, I had an excellent time attending my first European Libera concert. While Cathedral concerts
are not my favorite type of venue, this was a pretty good one, on a par with the Guelph concert from last year's Canadian tour.
I also enjoyed the opportunity to attend St. Philip and meet Fr. Younis Francis. I felt very welcomed at St. Philip.

My personal concert highlights were seeing some of the different choristers who stepped up to the front in expanded roles. I was blown away with
Isaac's rendering of Far Away and was really impressed with Matthew Rangel-Alvares singing lyrics! Hopefully they build on their
successes in the summer tour. It was also great to see Ralph step beyond the microphones and sing directly to the crowd. This is something
I can only remember Stefan doing in the past, it takes extra courage to perform that way, and Ralph did very well. I was also extremely pleased that Ralph was still able to nail the high Libera note (anyone who has seen that song performed in the last year or so knows what I mean).

While I certainly missed some of the old guard who had been there to sing for me in every concert I had attended previous,
Libera seems to be in fine form and well positioned for their upcoming performances....wherever they may be.

On a personal note, thanks to the kindnesses extended to me by Fan de Lok, John45, Viabuona and Yorkie. It made my time as a stranger in
a strange land less so. It was great to meet Dani, Maarten and Murksis. After years of reading your thoughts, it was certainly a highlight to
meet you all in person. Timjanni was a great dinner companion and I learned a lot about his efforts to make a German concert tour feasible.
I hope it works out.

In about a month or so, I would expect a summer schedule to be announced. I can't wait!!!
carina_gino20
Platinum Member

Post by carina_gino20 »

Thanks to all who posted their reviews! It brings back memories of their April concerts for me. These kids are really some kind of wonderful. A pity I didn't get to hear Eoghan's Attende Domine. I like the piece and can only imagine what Eoghan can do with it with that voice of his.
"I'm drowning here, and you're describing the water!" - Melvin Udall

Sue
Silver Member

Post by Sue »

Don't know if someone has posted this before...You can see the two newest boys on stage: Sam Wiggin & Anthony Blake. You can see a little bid of Bertie Smart, too.