Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

hannah_kirstin
Silver Member

Re: Singapore Concert 2012

Post by hannah_kirstin »

Dear Yorkie,
Your favourite Frenchman was the perfect gentleman, reserved but
very insightful. He's now my favourite Frenchman too. Hehe.

Singapore is beautiful. Glad I got the chance to see Libera again,
and to meet loyal fans from around the globe. The new generation
of Libera boys are quite a promising bunch. Excited for you as you
will hear them in Arundel soon. Some big boys included, I hope. ;D
You are shelter from the storm
The shadows fade away
All cares pass away...
madine_lover

Post by madine_lover »

Yorkie wrote:
madine_lover wrote:I went to the Singapore concert on Saturday. I wrote my review of the concert. Sorry for my poor English. Also posted some pictures from M&G. A few of picts are blurry, but there's also still good picture. :D Check out my blog here:
http://madinelover.blogspot.com
Enjoyed reading your report and your English is really good, thanks for taking time to share your experience.
Thank you very much. It was my pleasure to share it with you guys. Now wait for the reports from Japan and Arundel. Hope to see more pictures and videos (if they allow it). :)
"...when we came together, we made the sound, that is LIBERA ..."
http://madinelover.blogspot.com
tom413
Gold Member

Post by tom413 »

Great job Hannah & Yuni!

I always enjoy reading about people's experiences attending the concerts - particularly first timers.
Yuni, you'll have to re-write the introduction to your blog now! :)

Really happy to read about all of the favorable reaction Isaac is getting. I mentioned Isaac as a standout in my
report after his very first Libera performance. I'm so glad he is getting the opportunity
to increase his visibility in the group.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

JimmyRiddle wrote:Yes, thanks for all the reviews and pictures everyone. You make the forum what it is. The first pitstop for Libera news.
xsakurax wrote:Easter Sunday Libera was singing at the Mass at one of the local catholic churches in Singapore.. St. Ignatius...
Yep, I've been onto this ever since the first tweet mentioned it. Eventually came across this https://plus.google.com/photos/10340156 ... 5080/posts Two nice pictures there. They have a huge backrow in one of them lol Wish we could have heard the service though.
Great find Jimmy. Oh if only Libera would come to our church and sing with us....
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

maartendas wrote:Great find Jimmy. Oh if only Libera would come to our church and sing with us....
Never say never...who knows what the future may bring.

24 angels leaving thousands mesmerized
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
carina_gino20
Platinum Member

Post by carina_gino20 »

Libera's latest status update: Wors. hot.l wifi ev.r - ke.ps dr.p.in out. Gl.d I'm not pa.ing f.r it

:lol:
"I'm drowning here, and you're describing the water!" - Melvin Udall

carina_gino20
Platinum Member

Post by carina_gino20 »

Here's my Singapore concert review. Nothing new, but I still managed to make it long...

Part 1

If anybody told me, back in 2008, that I would be attending my third and fourth Libera concert in 4 yrs, I would’ve laughed it off as a pipe dream. Four may not seem much to some, but I’m really happy to have the privilege to watch four concerts. Every single one of them is special. With Libera, it’s not just a concert; it’s one amazing sensory experience. It’s not a perfect show. There are minor mistakes here and there like boys forgetting a movement, or missing a note. But they are very few and far in between. Put together all these and it makes for a really splendiferous evening.

I was very excited when they announced last December that they would be visiting Singapore. Finally! was all I could think of. I managed to get great seats for the first night. I bought tickets to the second night just a week before the concerts. Much farther back, but I’m glad I watched a second time. When I went to the Philippine concerts, I always left wanting to relive the whole experience. Finally, I get to do it here in my own city.

There wasn’t as much buzz as there was in the Manila concerts, where people usually chitchat outside the hall before the concerts. I saw Robert de Ocampo and a person I presume to be one of the older boys’ father. Soon, the theatre started to fill up. The musicians went on stage to prepare their instruments. I think I saw Yuki and her mom and what might have been FDL…The venue was not as big as PICC. I actually like it more because its horse-shoe shape gives a more intimate feel. Soon, RP arrived to some light applause. AT around 8:10pm, the show was ready to start.

Jubilate Deo/Libera
I must say that this is really a perfect opening number. I like it more than Adoramus, although that one’s nice also. When MRA lets out his piercing “Alleluia”, I’m hooked. I get shivers listening to the intro. It really sets the mood for the night. And when the rest of the group starts streaming in…surreal, especially since they do this while singing, “Angels holy high and lowly.”

I love how it seamlessly segues into Libera. Luke and Eoghan’s duet is lovely. And Ralph’s “Aeternas” are spine-tingling. I almost could not believe that that piercing notes come from him.

Enter Barney and Cassius, really one comedic duo. They have impeccable timing and they really engage the crowd.

Song of Life
Ralph’s first solo sounded a little soft at first but grew stronger as the song progressed. On the second night, it was perfect. For this song, they used some background scenes from the original video. I liked the way they used the backdrop the whole night. They used it judiciously, nothing too overpowering…although some people found the background to Salva Me a little creepy. :D

Anyway, Ralph’s voice is still as wonderful as I remember it. It’s like soothing water flowing on your skin after a tiring day. The rest of the group was also on top form; they sounded much better live.

Sanctissima
It was my first time hearing it live. It was another sweet performance from Ralph. If he was nervous with his first two solos, it didn’t show. I wish there were more deep voices for the “Sancta Maria” parts but all in all, the young bunch still made an impression in the chorus.

Sanctus
This song is like an old friend that you can always count on. I’m pleased every time I see them perform this in concert because it was my first Libera song. Again, there are some moments for me, during the concerts when I feel like, “yes, this is really it.” This was one of those. To watch a live performance of a song that I’ve watched in Youtube countless times, that screams “Libera” as much as their theme tune, is just special. And as I scan the half moon of angelic faces, old and new, it reminds me that the choir is an ever evolving bunch and yet, still the same.

I’m not 100% sure who did the high notes for this piece, but I think it was Stefan. Whoever it was did a fantastic job.

After this, Cassius and Michael did their moose bit, which is always funny. Michael is still as cute as a button.

I Vow to Thee My Country
This was one of many pleasant surprises of the night. Matthew Jansen stood in the middle, flanked by Dylan and Tom on either side. Stefan and Barney sang the opening. When Matthew started singing the verse, I was captivated. I’m not much good in describing voices but MJ’s voice was really sweet. Closest one I can think of is maybe a young Josh’s voice? He had wonderful control and looked very comfortable while performing.

Eternal Light
I also think the Manila version cannot be topped, but this one was still impressive. Stefan is really in his element now. He has a quiet self confidence, which is awesome for a 14-yr old. His voice just keeps becoming more and more beautiful. I almost couldn’t believe that he is the oldest performer in this tour. His duet with Ralph was impeccable as usual. The choir’s treble composition with their soaring harmonies topped of this magical song.

Salva Me
MRA, standing high up on a platform apart from the rest, was perfect. He still has such a high piercing voice. I’m also impressed at the first-timers. They looked very engaged the whole evening, performing like veterans.

Do Not Stand
Wow. It was also my first time hearing this live and I was floored. I’ve wanted to hear this live ever since I watched Tom’s and Ed’s version. Most boys exited the stage, only a few remained and they had their hoods up. Ralph was the only one without his hood as he sang the first solo. His voice was perfect for the song. And when Stefan joined him, wow, the result was mesmerizing. It’s definitely one of my favorite performances.

Exultate
This is always a fun, joyous song and it was a great way to end the first half. I did miss the deep voices again. There were a few back row voices but not as pronounced this time.
"I'm drowning here, and you're describing the water!" - Melvin Udall

dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

carina_gino20 wrote:Libera's latest status update: Wors. hot.l wifi ev.r - ke.ps dr.p.in out. Gl.d I'm not pa.ing f.r it

:lol:

I assume in English that is

worst hotel wifi ever , keeps dropping in out and glad im not paying for it.
phlibera
Gold Member

Post by phlibera »

Thank you for a wonderful review, Carina, as always. Some of my comments below. :)

ADORAMUS

I like the Jubilate/Libera combination, but I'm a bit partial to Adoramus/Libera. I like what I saw at the RCBC Plaza in 2010 where at the start Stefan was standing on a raised platform on stage, alone, singing w/o accompaninent "Are you the friend I cannot see? Are you the door are you the key?" And then a very high "aahhh". Then music. Then the rest of Libera slowly marching in, single pile from the sides singing "Adoramus".

SANCTISSIMA

Mini Ben's voice is so distinct, that I immediately miss it when somebody else is singing Sanctissima. I imagine I'll feel the same way if and when I hear "Bayan Ko" with a different soloist. Ben is one of those with signature voices.

ETERNAL LIGHT

Back in Cebu in 2011, the Waterfront didn't have a projection screen behind the boys on the stage. So during this song, the background behind them and the instrumentalists were only star-like white lights. It lend itself perfectly to the song, setting the mood. Nothing can topped it. Seriously, it was perfect, I think. The audience clapped the loudest after it, so loud it would could easily have been a wonderful "last song of the night". I fervently wish they release the footage sooner or later. It made such an impression on me that I immediately declared it the best song of the night. :) But then again, of course, it's a matter of preference.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

carina_gino20 wrote:Here's my Singapore concert review. Nothing new, but I still managed to make it long...
Thanks for the write up carina, looking forward to part 2. Sounds like both concerts had pretty good attendances if not quite sell outs - that has to be good news in terms of getting the boys back to Singapore in the future :D
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

phlibera wrote: Some of my comments below. :)

ETERNAL LIGHT

Back in Cebu in 2011, the Waterfront didn't have a projection screen behind the boys on the stage. So during this song, the background behind them and the instrumentalists were only star-like white lights. It lend itself perfectly to the song, setting the mood. Nothing can topped it. Seriously, it was perfect, I think. The audience clapped the loudest after it, so loud it would could easily have been a wonderful "last song of the night". I fervently wish they release the footage sooner or later. It made such an impression on me that I immediately declared it the best song of the night. :) But then again, of course, it's a matter of preference.
I know what you mean about having a knock out performance that, in your own mind, will never be bettered. For me it was Ed's Mysterium in Edinburgh in my very first concert. But you know, if I'm honest, there have been some equally good performances since. Somehow Robert keeps finding new talent and training them up to be great performers.

I can't wait to see them in May; to find out what the new guys sound like - all these positive reviews are really setting up Arundel very nicely.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
phlibera
Gold Member

Post by phlibera »

Indeed, Yorkie. :-) Might help bringing them back regularly to the Philippines as well. Singapore and the Philippines is so close, organizers from both countries can join forces to help save some costs in airfare. They can practically divide the airfare between them. :-)
phlibera
Gold Member

Post by phlibera »

Yes, fresh talent and new takes on old songs keep the concerts fresh to those who regularly attend them. :-)
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

[BBvideo 425,350][/BBvideo]

Gloria from the church service
chris17

Post by chris17 »

Is that Ralph singing the high notes at the end?