China 2012?

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

China 2012?

Post by JimmyRiddle »

http://amzine.wordpress.com/2011/11/16/ ... mas-album/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tour plans for 2012 include performances in China, Japan and Southeast Asia
The chinese fan forum over at Baidu.com will be estatic if this comes to fruition.
Last edited by JimmyRiddle on Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Re: China 2012?

Post by Yorkie »

JimmyRiddle wrote:Thanks for the pics Yuki - not seen those one's before.....

http://amzine.wordpress.com/2011/11/16/ ... mas-album/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The chinese fan forum over at Baidu.com will be estatic if this comes to fruition.
Nice article. I think most of us guessed China could be on the cards next April - and it could be the biggest market of them all. Really, if EMI play this right there could be enormous sales in China. I really hope, if a trip to China comes off, that they get marketed + promoted. We know how the rest of Asia loves Libera and I don't think classical music is bigger anywhere else in the world at the moment.

Of course, more trips to China means less concerts for the rest of us, so it isn't all good news :?
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

JimmyRiddle wrote:
Personally I would be very pleased to be able to do a visit in China prior to go to Japan in April :D

I hope Libera can announce official dates for Spring tour the sooner possible, and that they will not have to face the same kind of difficulties with the visas they had last summer for the USA ;)

Yorkie wrote:Of course, more trips to China means less concerts for the rest of us, so it isn't all good news :?
Come on, it's a great news ! :) For Libera going to a such wide market, and for occidental fans also. Because if Libera is in Asia in April, they will probably don't go there again in Summer, so it opens the alternative of them going to the USA or... do a tour in Europe :mrgreen:
Last edited by fan_de_LoK on Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
mqeric

Post by mqeric »

If it turn out to be true it would be good news for the Chinese fans indeed.

It's kinda funny that having heard that they weren't able to come to China earlier this year, I eventually persuaded a group of Chinese fans to attend Libera's concerts in the Philippines. I was there as well of course, having attended Libera's concert in Manila back in 2009, I just have to hear Ralph and Stefan in their prime as treble.

Everyone that made that trip was so thrilled by the experience of hearing them live that many of them are making plans to travel to Japan next year to hear them live again! If the Chinese tour turn out to be true then it would be fantastic!
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

The question is, is China ready for them? The Chinese government still gets pretty weird about religion and there is a religious tone to pretty much everything Libera sings.
mqeric

Post by mqeric »

To be honest, the religious aspect wouldn't be much of a problem, because over the years, King's College Cambridge Choir, WSK and PCSM and various other choirs has been touring China without much trouble, and they got more obvious ties to religion than Libera. I am fortunate enough to have talked to Mr Madine(Josh & Matt's dad) on a couple of occasions while I was in Philippines, the main problem appears to have been the sponsorship from what I can gather, he did mentioned about the name Libera (latin for free) might have something to do with the fact that they weren't touring China earlier this year though, so maybe there was something happened that we don't know.

In the Philippines they have big corporate sponsors throughout, like Shell, a couple banks, a telco company I can't remember, Zest Air, the hotels they stayed in, on top of that they have an established fan base from the previous 2 visits and the convenience of the occasion of UK-Philippines Friendship Week so the British Embassy was involved and a very passionate host Mr Ocampo. And yes there is the fact that Philippines is a very Catholic country so that works in Libera's favor too.

The way I see it, they major problem they have now in China is that none of their usual channel of communication can get through to fans in China, you guys may not know this, there is a blanket ban on Facebook / Youtube / Twitter /Google+ / blogspot in China, so you can't have access to any of these social network sites if you are in China, which was how Libera's been doing their promotion as for now. So all the Chinese fans can do is gather bit and pieces off the internet and due to the language barrier, got some horrendously wrong information about Libera, I will give you an extreme case where on weibo(China's own version of twitter) someone claimed that Libera is so good because they were sponsored by the British Government and was schooled and trained together(maybe got the idea from WSK?) how bonkers is that....?

I am working with a few Chinese fans that's been to Philippines concerts and trying to get a Chinese site up to at least clarify some basic information about Libera, and hopefully by doing so makes Chinese fans more informed about the wonderful sound that is Libera and maybe grow the fan base a bit further, if they are indeed going to tour China next year then we will have a lot of work to do before that....
Orange_The_Talent

Post by Orange_The_Talent »

mqeric wrote:To be honest, the religious aspect wouldn't be much of a problem, because over the years, King's College Cambridge Choir, WSK and PCSM and various other choirs has been touring China without much trouble, and they got more obvious ties to religion than Libera. I am fortunate enough to have talked to Mr Madine(Josh & Matt's dad) on a couple of occasions while I was in Philippines, the main problem appears to have been the sponsorship from what I can gather, he did mentioned about the name Libera (latin for free) might have something to do with the fact that they weren't touring China earlier this year though, so maybe there was something happened that we don't know.
I agree with you. Religion is not the major problem. The biggest problem we are facing is the sponsorship. As long as the problem of sponsorship is solved, their would be no much difficulties. Many other boys choir have toured CHN, however, most Chinese people don't even know those choirs before they come. As long as they do the promotion properly, people will flood into theatres to attend their concerts.
natsumi

Post by natsumi »

so are Libera going to China during the summer????
phlibera
Gold Member

Post by phlibera »

natsumi wrote:so are Libera going to China during the summer????
Have you read anything from somewhere? :D What I've heard was that Malaysia was supposedly part of their recently concluded spring tour, but didn't push through for an undisclosed reason.
tom413
Gold Member

Post by tom413 »

Someone who was at Arundel put something in their blog that a Libera member's parents said they were going
to China this summer. For what it's worth, I sat next to a different chorister's parents who told me Libera
was going to America this summer (when they found out I was American).
Personally I don't believe Libera will end up in either of those places this summer (but I hope I'm wrong about the USA :) ).
I guess we'll find out soon enough.
dearmadine
Silver Member

Post by dearmadine »

tom413 wrote:Someone who was at Arundel put something in their blog that a Libera member's parents said they were going
to China this summer. For what it's worth, I sat next to a different chorister's parents who told me Libera
was going to America this summer (when they found out I was American).
Personally I don't believe Libera will end up in either of those places this summer (but I hope I'm wrong about the USA :) ).
I guess we'll find out soon enough.
Hi Tom,

Hope all is well with you. I think I have unknowingly partaken in spreading the "Libera is going to China" rumor (well, everything is a rumor until Libera officially confirms). I was engaged in a conversation where a fan attended Arundel said "Libera might go to China this year" but the person didn't specify which season. I was excited and posted the rumor on my blog. I took it down within 24 hours of posting but the words/rumors travel so fast these days. :p

It will be really nice if China tour happens in future... but it will be nicer if they come to America this summer. ;)

Best regards,
Inna
BEAUTIFUL STRANGERS*
http://dearmadine.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tom413
Gold Member

Post by tom413 »

I'm doing well, Inna. Hope the same can be said for you. :)

This is the the time of year when speculation runs rampant in Libera nation about where the summer tour will be.
In my view, discussing/publishing the rumors helps build up some buzz for the upcoming concerts wherever they will be.

We all know Libera would like to go China (and probably will some day), but the question of where they actually go
always seems to boil down to simple economics. If a suitable funding package were offered to them from nearly any
part of the globe, I'm sure that that place would become the leading candidate for the next tour. In the absence of that,
the organization must try to balance getting the maximum amount of exposure for the minimum amount of expense.
b20me

Post by b20me »

As everyone agrees, China is going to be a huge market for Libera and other European choirs looking to branch out. I was looking at French choir PCCB's tour schedule for the last couple of years, and I see China, Japan, Korea and France. It makes sense because the money is there, and the reaction of the fans there is pretty phenomenal. The lack of Libera's usual forms of social media might be an obstacle, but they could leverage on Chinese social media to reach out to fans. For example, there is Youku.com (video-sharing), Baidu.com (forums), Weibo (twitter-like) etc. These are options to be explored before/after jumping into China. You just need 0.0001% of China's population to fill up a concert venue. ;)
Szepilona
Silver Member

Post by Szepilona »

b20me wrote:As everyone agrees, China is going to be a huge market for Libera and other European choirs looking to branch out. I was looking at French choir PCCB's tour schedule for the last couple of years, and I see China, Japan, Korea and France. It makes sense because the money is there, and the reaction of the fans there is pretty phenomenal. The lack of Libera's usual forms of social media might be an obstacle, but they could leverage on Chinese social media to reach out to fans. For example, there is Youku.com (video-sharing), Baidu.com (forums), Weibo (twitter-like) etc. These are options to be explored before/after jumping into China. You just need 0.0001% of China's population to fill up a concert venue. ;)
:lol: I must agree though :D