Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

paul
Site Admin

USA 2011 Concert reviews.

Post by paul »

Please only post concert reviews here

Thanks.
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato
libera36

Re: USA tour!!!

Post by libera36 »

Fan_de_LoK posted a list of the boys over on the French forum! The newbies are Thomas Delgado-Little, Ben Fairman, Isaac London, Matthew Madine, Michael Ustynovych-Repa and Orlando Woscholski. Jonathan, Stefan and Mini-James are not with the group. Here's the full list:

- Henry Barrington
- Tiarnan Branson
- Jude Collins
- Luke Collins
- Liam Connery
- Kavana Crossley
- Jakob de Menezes-Wood
- Thomas Delgado-Little
- Dylan Duffy
- Ben Fairman
- Daniel Fontannaz
- Freddie Ingles
- Matthew Jansen
- Alex Leggett
- Sam Leggett
- Barney Lindsell
- Isaac London
- Josh Madine
- Matthew Madine
- Eoghan McCarthy
- Sammy Moriarty
- Cassius O'Connell-White
- Ben Philipp
- Matthew Rangel-Alvares
- Michael Ustynovych-Repa
- Carlos Rodriguez
- Ralph Skan
- Orlando Woscholski

So that's 28 boys! And here is the song list:

- Jubilate
- Libera
- Song of life
- Sanctissima
- Sanctus
- Always with you
- Eternal Light
- Salva Me
- Lamentations
- Exultate

Interval

- Te Lucis
- Mysterium
- Gloria
- Fountain
- When a Knight
- Stay with me
- Ave Verum
- Love and Mercy
- Glory to Thee
- How Shall I Sing
tom413
Gold Member

Re: USA tour!!!

Post by tom413 »

AngeModerne wrote: :( if there was one with a tear that'd be me right now
No reason for tears at this concert unless you were choked up about the return of
Josh Madine, SOLOIST!

This was my 3rd tour opening concert and it was the best one by far.
As we were warned, the speeches and the songs were almost the same as the Canadian tour
but the people singing them weren't.

Surprise of the night was definitely Josh's solo. Vocally excellent throughout, as the song
progressed we were also graced with the trademark Josh smile again. It was awesome to
see him again out front in a prominent role.

Second pleasant surprise of the night was the emergence of Eoghan McCarthy. Libera dusted
off Glory thee my God this night for the first time since 2008 and Eoghan was given the lead
part last done by Ed Day and was fantastic! Eoghan also shared the How Shall I Sing that Majesty lead
with Jakob. Those of you yet to hear him solo are in for a real treat.

Other miscellaneous concert thoughts:

Cassius picked up a more prominent role in Love & Mercy with James gone.

One of the new minis Ben Fairman joined Jude for his "I'm new" speech. We learned
that although Jude is new, Ben is newer. :) No other newbie was given a prominent role,
although I was drawn to Isaac London who sang very expressively.

Daniel continues to defy nature with a nice solo on Stay With Me along with prominent
support on a number of other songs.

Ralph is still the most prolific soloist; my favorite Ralph moment in these concerts
is watching him deliver his "Libera Aeterna" in Libera. His voice is really powerful
now.

Freddie & Jakob have Always with You down pat now. This is perhaps my all-time
favorite Libera song but it has proven to be a difficult one to perform until this year.

All the usual behind the scenes people are on this tour apart from Callum. The program says
his role is being done by Simon Lewis....perhaps Eleanor Lewis' son?

Te Lucis was performed entirely by the back row boys (not sure who exactly because it was
sung almost backstage) and I couldn't deciper who was who from my 1st row seat. I'm hoping
this gets performed on a stage that isn't so deep somewhere else so I get a better look at it.

Hope this is coherent as I've been up since 6am and it's 12:30am now.
If not, I'll edit it after I get some sleep. :D
Last edited by tom413 on Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dani
Diamond Member

Re: USA 2011 Concert reviews.

Post by dani »

This a concert review from the twin cities news

http://www.twincities.com/entertainment/ci_18564813" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A mixed review but he did pick up on something i and a few other's have complained about in the past.
However, some of the early numbers planted the discomfiting notion that Libera was more about Prizeman's overblown arrangements than the talents of the boys, who were too often battling with the instrumental and recorded
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

dani wrote:This a concert review from the twin cities news

http://www.twincities.com/entertainment/ci_18564813" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A mixed review but he did pick up on something i and a few other's have complained about in the past.
However, some of the early numbers planted the discomfiting notion that Libera was more about Prizeman's overblown arrangements than the talents of the boys, who were too often battling with the instrumental and recorded
I'd like him to have mentioned what specific songs they were. It has to be remembered that it was Robert Prizeman's arrangements that seperated this group of boys from the traditional choral fayre and provided them with their unique special appeal in the first place. Take 'Salva Me' for example. Might be getting a little tired now and perhaps might be one of those songs heavily influenced with synthesized sounds, but back in the day when they performed this in the Caves setup with Liam O Kane and also in that church with the drums. They were type of songs which really stood them out from the crowd.

I agree in many respects, when Libera are accapella and stripped back they can be at their hauntingly best, and they have toned alot of the artificial elements at concerts down with the support of a string quartet and Steven's recorder etc.. but I think there's room for variety of songs at a Libera concert, with different tempo, beats, etc... and it's worth reminding ourselves that it was the effect of Robert Prizemen's (and Ian Tilley's) unique arrangments that brought this vocal boy band to were they are today.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

JimmyRiddle wrote:
dani wrote:This a concert review from the twin cities news

I'd like him to have mentioned what specific songs they were. It has to be remembered that it was Robert Prizeman's arrangements that seperated this group of boys from the traditional choral fayre and provided them with their unique special appeal in the first place. Take 'Salva Me' for example. Might be getting a little tired now and perhaps might be one of those songs heavily influenced with synthesized sounds, but back in the day when they performed this in the Caves setup with Liam O Kane and also in that church with the drums. They were type of songs which really stood them out from the crowd.

I agree in many respects, when Libera are accapella and stripped back they can be at their hauntingly best, and they have toned alot of the artificial elements at concerts down with the support of a string quartet and Steven's recorder etc.. but I think there's room for variety of songs at a Libera concert, with different tempo, beats, etc... and it's worth reminding ourselves that it was the effect of Robert Prizemen's (and Ian Tilley's) unique arrangments that brought this vocal boy band to were they are today.

Yes the fact Mr Prizeman has started to strip back some of the concert is a wonderful thing. But i still think sometimes the backing is too loud for the boys.
And i love Salva Me but yes it is just a tiny bit tired because it makes every single concert. I guess that is why Robert Prizeman tries to update songs like Salva and Sanctus because they are the core along with the song Libera .

I am assuming that is why songs like Glory to thee are back because its more about the boys than the music.
I love the mixture that we get in concerts but i can see that the reviewer has a point to some extent and its what other reviewers have opten picked up on. So it has merit ! :mrgreen:
worshipper28
Silver Member

Post by worshipper28 »

A beautiful report you can reed at the French forum from Fan-de_Lok . Use google translation and enjoy
http://translate.google.com/translate?j ... a-ete-2011" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lexi
Silver Member

Post by Lexi »

Hi! I did a write-up about the Minneapolis concert. I'll try to write about St. Paul tonight or tomorrow. :D
http://mini-angels.blogspot.com/2011/07 ... ncert.html
http://www.mini-angels.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Lexi wrote:Hi! I did a write-up about the Minneapolis concert. I'll try to write about St. Paul tonight or tomorrow. :D
Yes, it was a great review Lexi and very much appreciated as are the other reviews. :)
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
Malibu
Silver Member

Post by Malibu »

I agree that some times the music overpowers the boys voices. I haven't noticed it much on the CD's, but I did notice it during the 2 Canadian concerts I attended. Unforunately in my reviews I stated the some of the boys sounded "weak" instead of stating that the music was overpowering them. I think that caused a little stir here on the forum (I wasn't a member, but my review was posted by one of the blogs). I think they either should turn up the mic's or somehow soften the instruments (I prefer the latter).

Lexi, I haven't had a chance to read your review yet (still at work...) but I will when I get home.

EDIT: I should also say that I love how they have gone away from the synthesized music and towards the string quartet, recorder etc. I just wish it wouldn't overpower the boys at time.
Lead, kindly light amid the circling gloom.
Lead thou me on.
The night is dark and I am far from home.
jennaluvspbr
Gold Member

Post by jennaluvspbr »

Lexi wrote:Hi! I did a write-up about the Minneapolis concert. I'll try to write about St. Paul tonight or tomorrow. :D
what was it like to see joshua madine there?? i bet you were srpest to see him i am going to the consrt all so in chicago i bet this world is amazing with libera i am so happy you saw them and it will be my aunt frist one frist libera consrt in chicago it will be gret
Lauren
Silver Member

Post by Lauren »

Lexi's review of the St. Paul concert with a very short video I just uploaded of the end of the concert. But at least you can see everyone. :D

See you in Chicago, Jenna! :D
http://www.mini-angels.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lauren
Silver Member

Post by Lauren »

Malibu wrote:I agree that some times the music overpowers the boys voices. I haven't noticed it much on the CD's, but I did notice it during the 2 Canadian concerts I attended. Unforunately in my reviews I stated the some of the boys sounded "weak" instead of stating that the music was overpowering them. I think that caused a little stir here on the forum (I wasn't a member, but my review was posted by one of the blogs). I think they either should turn up the mic's or somehow soften the instruments (I prefer the latter).

Lexi, I haven't had a chance to read your review yet (still at work...) but I will when I get home.

EDIT: I should also say that I love how they have gone away from the synthesized music and towards the string quartet, recorder etc. I just wish it wouldn't overpower the boys at time.
I think if you sit up front, the instruments sound louder because they're right in front of you. If we were sitting in the center of the church, the sound would be mixed better. So it's a choice we make. Sit up front to watch the kids' expressions and occasionally hear a distinct voice, or sit in the center and hear what the sound board guys are hearing. :D
tom413
Gold Member

Post by tom413 »

Thanks for the quick service Lexi and Lauren. I'm glad to see that video. I didn't notice Cassius jumping to make sure
his wave was seen until I watched the video. :)
labbie

Post by labbie »

Thanks for the review, Lauren and Lexi! See you soon! I'm off to the airport this morning.