USA 2011 Concert reviews.

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

jennaluvspbr
Gold Member

Re: USA 2011 Concert reviews.

Post by jennaluvspbr »

Rebecca (: wrote:Finally home now. I managed to sleep in the car, which is a first for me :lol: Pulled into the driveway at exactly 3:00 AM! Perfect timing... anyways... this si much longer than I meant it to be, so feel free to just skip around to the part you want to read :D
thanks so much for telling us a bout your tour i really am happy for you i enjoyd that you said thanks my friend
Last edited by viabuona on Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: To much quoting. Take a look to rule #9: http://www.libera-dreams.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1213#p30602
Szepilona
Silver Member

Post by Szepilona »

thanks for the review! I'm glad you had a great time! Talking to the big boys about Harry Potter sounded awesome!
BruceH

Post by BruceH »

Well here I sit at the  Dallas airport waiting to return to Michigan. The strains of "Exultate" are still going through my head, and the threat of my second bought of Libera withdrawal for the year is hanging over me. Last night's concert was really great. As many have already said, the group sounded strong. I think the addition of a few more boys and the large number of older boys had a very positive effect on this. I attended two concerts in Canada this year, but I really think last night's in Frisco was the best. Others have reported on the details of the concerts, so I will just stick to a few special impressions.

While the auditorium was by no means full, it looked to me like there were perhaps 800 to 1000 people in the 3000 seat room. That lead to very strong applause after each number. The standing ovation at the end was very loud and sustained. The boys looked like they were really appreciating the audience response.

One of the first things that impressed me bout this concert was the lighting. The relatively uncluttered architecture of the Stonebrier church combined with some fantastic work by the lighting designers made for gorgeous effects. I was sitting in the forth row where the lighting almost surrounded us. It added so much to the performance compared to some of the previous venues I was at. 

Some of the older boys did the "Te Lucis" at the beginning of the second half. It was done a cappella. The maturity of the boys showed in the way they held the tune and interpreted  the music. It was very moving.

As reported, there was a meet and greet after the performance. Based on a small clue in the church calendar, I have been hoping for this for several weeks. It was nice to express thanks to the boys after not being able to l do it after the Canada concerts. They all thanked us for coming. While I tried to limit the time I spent with each of them (per instructions beforehand), I did spend a little extra time talking to a few. It was nice to be able to tell Daniel, Ralph, Josh, etc. that I enjoyed their solos. Of particular interest was the conversation with Josh. When I told him that I'd missed him in the spring concerts, he confirmed that he had taking some pretty rough exams.

Since I'm now in the air, I'll have to wait until landing to post it.
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Thanks Rebecca and Bruce for your great reviews.
BruceH wrote:Since I'm now in the air, I'll have to wait until landing to post it.
Metaphorically speaking you've been floating on air since the end of the concert ;) I know the feeling well, many times I've driven back home through the night after a Libera concert and felt like I was flying instead of driving. So many positive comments re: the 'Te Lucis' part for the older boys. I wonder if Libera will be looking to keep this shape of line-up for future years. i.e. a more substantial backrow with even a little part of the concert dedicated to their voices alone. Another reason why I want to go to their next UK concert!
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
Jenn
Silver Member

Post by Jenn »

Rebecca downplayed just how excited Ben and Josh in particular were about her Bellatrix costume! Both of their faces lit up immediately. They LOVED it! Also Cassius's reaction to the passport she made for Moose was priceless. His jaw literally dropped and he said it was just great. He was soo pleased with it and the other boys were passing it around to each other and were quite excited.

Since she and I sat next to each other at the concert, our reviews would be pretty much identical :-P I really really really loved Te Lucis and changes to some of the older songs. I actually liked Song of Life even better than the recording. Ralph's voice really hit me last night. I've heard him before but he really seems at his peak now and it's just...well I don't know the words to describe it. I am so fortunate to have Libera come to my backyard two years in a row and to have the opportunity to go to 2 concerts each year.

Leaving for Houston early tomorrow morning to arrive around lunch time :D
Malibu
Silver Member

Post by Malibu »

Thanks to all for the reviews. Even thought I managed to make it to the Chicago concert, I still enjoy reading about the other concerts and the meet and greets (I know I've said this multiple times, but I'm so jealous). Is it bittersweet however, because I would love to be at the other concerts, but that's just not in the cards.
Tim
Lead, kindly light amid the circling gloom.
Lead thou me on.
The night is dark and I am far from home.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Rebecca (: wrote: While I was off fan-girling and trying to calm down my mom was talking with Mr Phillip, who then personally thanked me for putting up posters and telling people about the concert! That made me feel real happy! My mom also was telling him about some restaurants and such in Houston, so maybe they’ll go to one of them!!! Well,that’s abot it, I guess! It’s now just about 1 AM, so we have two more hours of driving left. Might “attepmt” to sleep some, or just stare at the autographs some more! Thanks to Libera for a great concert!!! It was my favourite so far, out of all 3 I’ve been to!!
So, is your mom a fully fledged Libera fan now? I seem to remember that when you first started posting on here you felt your family could be a bit more supportive of your passion :lol:
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Rebecca (:
Platinum Member

Post by Rebecca (: »

Yorkie wrote:So, is your mom a fully fledged Libera fan now? I seem to remember that when you first started posting on here you felt your family could be a bit more supportive of your passion :lol:
Not quite... :lol: she claims to only really like them live, which I guess is okay! My siblings still hate them. That's not gonna change anytime soon :P
Malibu
Silver Member

Post by Malibu »

Rebecca (: wrote:
Yorkie wrote:So, is your mom a fully fledged Libera fan now? I seem to remember that when you first started posting on here you felt your family could be a bit more supportive of your passion :lol:
Not quite... :lol: she claims to only really like them live, which I guess is okay! My siblings still hate them. That's not gonna change anytime soon :P
Hopefully soon they'll see the mistakes of their ways :)

I introduced Libera to my parents a couple of months ago after they heard I went to the Canadian concerts. They seemed to like them, but I couldn't get a good read. I thought about inviting my mom to go to the Chicago concert, but ended up against it. Maybe I should have.
Lead, kindly light amid the circling gloom.
Lead thou me on.
The night is dark and I am far from home.
labbie

Post by labbie »

To all who have posted reviews about concerts, last night's or any others on this tour, thank you so much. I had the pleasure of attending the Chicago concert, and enjoyed reading all the accounts of that evening. It is heartening to see that everyone has been enjoying the concerts, and post-concert sessions, including Libera themselves. I would hope that this tour will garner some new supporters for them. They deserve it!
DeProfundis130

Post by DeProfundis130 »

JimmyRiddle wrote:
dani wrote:This a concert review from the twin cities news

http://www.twincities.com/entertainment/ci_18564813" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A mixed review but he did pick up on something i and a few other's have complained about in the past.
However, some of the early numbers planted the discomfiting notion that Libera was more about Prizeman's overblown arrangements than the talents of the boys, who were too often battling with the instrumental and recorded
I'd like him to have mentioned what specific songs they were. It has to be remembered that it was Robert Prizeman's arrangements that seperated this group of boys from the traditional choral fayre and provided them with their unique special appeal in the first place. Take 'Salva Me' for example. Might be getting a little tired now and perhaps might be one of those songs heavily influenced with synthesized sounds, but back in the day when they performed this in the Caves setup with Liam O Kane and also in that church with the drums. They were type of songs which really stood them out from the crowd.

I agree in many respects, when Libera are accapella and stripped back they can be at their hauntingly best, and they have toned alot of the artificial elements at concerts down with the support of a string quartet and Steven's recorder etc.. but I think there's room for variety of songs at a Libera concert, with different tempo, beats, etc... and it's worth reminding ourselves that it was the effect of Robert Prizemen's (and Ian Tilley's) unique arrangments that brought this vocal boy band to were they are today.
The Invaluable, much varied, and complex assortment of God Given Gifts that go to comprise the Person we refer to as; Mr. Robert Prizeman,
is the irreplaceable Heart and Soul Of Libera! Anyone venturing a critique without this appreciaton, Is Pissen in The Wind!

Peace, Gerald
Lauren
Silver Member

Post by Lauren »

Lexi's review of Frisco concert with LOTS of pictures. Thank you to Lennes for posting my St. Louis one. Maarten is right, you can post for us any time. We've been driving a lot. :D

And let's hear it for the low voices! Lexi did get some good news about their future parts. :wink:

http://mini-angels.blogspot.com/2011/08 ... ncert.html
http://www.mini-angels.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LennesSL
Silver Member

Post by LennesSL »

Lauren wrote: Thank you to Lennes for posting my St. Louis one. Maarten is right, you can post for us any time.
Glad to hear that :). I loooovvveee Lexi's blog and off course your review :).
Life is but a journey
Tides are always turning
Seasons come and go here but you’ll never be alone here
lacrymosa2
Silver Member

Post by lacrymosa2 »

Rebecca (: wrote:I complimented him on his hair, and said it was “Draco Malfoy like”
I was thinking more along the lines of Sting.
Szepilona
Silver Member

Post by Szepilona »

Thanks for the review and photos, Lexi! They're wonderful! :D