'St John the Apostle' - Torquay (30th July 2008)

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

'St John the Apostle' - Torquay (30th July 2008)

Post by JimmyRiddle »

http://www.stjohntheapostle.org.uk/inde" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... e=Homepage

"On Wednesday 30th July at 7.30pm, "Libera" the internationally renowned boys choir, are mounting a concert in church. This is the only Westcountry production of its kind and an opportunity not to be missed. Tickets at £10 are available from the church office between 9.30am - 11.30am weekdays or by post including cheque and SAE. Telephone 293926."

Anyone going? I would love to, but it's a bit too far for me to travel, especially with it being on a Wednesday? Strange midweek date that one, but I hope the church is cram packed.

P.S. I love the way they have put the 'Adoramus' music on their homepage, it reminded me how good that version with Joe Platt/Michael Horncastle really his.
xsakurax
Gold Member

Post by xsakurax »

Aww.. I wish I could go too! But it's way too far!

The Adoramus song, who did the high parts in the beginning? Is this the Free album version?
Urs

Post by Urs »

Yes, this is from the Free Album.
Good to know that there are more concerts.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Gonna be a great show, hope some of you guys here get to go!! You must share with us your thoughts and feelings afterward :D
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Are there a few members here that will be attending this concert by any chance?
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

I can't attend unfortunately. Would love to though.

http://www.otterystmary.org.uk/default" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. ... 27/07/2008

Looks like they are having their annnual choir holiday in the Devonshire area this summer.
Jude Andrew
Gold Member

Post by Jude Andrew »

I am looking to attend. I will be in the UK that week on business anyway and I am going to look into the options for getting to Torquay by train. Tickets will be available on the door (I hope).
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Jude Andrew, if you decide to go, please let me know. Libera Dreams will be giving away 4 free t-shirts to those attending. For more info on this, please read this post.

And to JimmyRiddle, hope the boys enjoy their much needed and well deserved holiday!! :D
xsakurax
Gold Member

Post by xsakurax »

Wow, just curious, why do schools in England get so many holidays?

I thought they just got their holidays in April (when they went for the US Tours)? Or is this something like Summer vacations?

Poor me, I'm still happily anticipating my school holidays which will only begin in like another 6 weeks or 7 weeks time! ARGH.
Rich
Silver Member

Post by Rich »

xsakurax,

I believe this is their summer vacation.

From the St. Philip's website:

"Our choir will be away for the 2008 summer holidays from Sunday July 27th until September."

Rich
xsakurax
Gold Member

Post by xsakurax »

Oh, I see. Haha. :D
kthomp
Silver Member

Post by kthomp »

i dunno why we english get so many school holidays ( im not complaining lol)
libera will be on their summer holidays which is the end of the school year, they wont return to school till the 3rd of september where they will be in a new year in their school or for some it will be moving to a new school.

the school holidays we have in england are
22-26 october which is half term
20 dec - 3 january which is xmas
10-22 febuary which is half term
7-18 apil which is easter holidays (this one moves with easter)
26-30 may which is half term
and then around the 23 july is the begining of summer holidays

the dates above are generalized and the holidays happen on or near the dates above.

Libera tour on their holidays, so it does not mess up their school year
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

I didn't realise that British students got so much time off between terms. That explains why Libera is able to go on those long trips to Japan and the US. I had wondered whether they had some sort of arrangements for lessons while on the road as do children who are professioanl actors or entertainers. It appears that British students compensate for it by getting a smaller summer vacation.

American schools are generally out for summer from the first or second week of June until the last week of August or first week of September. They also generally get about 2 weeks at Christmas and perhaps a week at Easter. Some schools will give a day off in the middle and end of terms as "teacher's work days".

One big reason for the difference is the cost of air conditioning. In most of the US (south of New Hampshire) if schools have classes from June through August air conditioning would be mandatory. OTOH since US schools tend to favor multiple choice exams our schools don't generally need as much time to grade exams in the middle and at the end of terms / semesters.

There are school districts experimenting with all year round schooling. They have more vacations distributed around the year and they stagger the schedule of groups of students so that at any one time only 3/4 are in school. The idea is that the buildings are already air conditioned so using the buildings year -round saves the cost of building more facilities.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I go to a year round school. Our schedule consists of 180 school days total in 1 year. Our school year starts out in early September, most of the time after Labor Day, then we have about 2-3 days off for Thanksgiving, 2 weeks off for Christmas and New Year, 2 weeks off Spring Break (when Easter comes along, it is usually during the 2 week break) and then our school year ends in mid-June where we get about 2 and a half months or so for summer. I dont mind this schedule, but I wouldnt mind trying out the UK school schedule :wink:
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

Is that a public school? I'd really like to see the U.S. move toward a year-round model; schools in Texas break for three months for the summer, a really long time, IMHO.