2018 Tour Speculations

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

Surpinto
Platinum Member

2018 Tour Speculations

Post by Surpinto »

With the New Year almost upon us I wanted to speculate as to where we all think Libera will be touring in 2018! It has been awfully quiet around here so we need to talk about this. ;)

In order to narrow down options for 2018 we need to look at past trends. I will not bother reproducing a longer time period of tours as that would be a bit too cluttered for this post but for the past few years this has been where Libera has toured. I am purposefully not including their regular December and Spring concerts in the UK as those have become a given – and the Ely concert is already announced.

2017 – China, US, Japan.

2016 – Germany, Poland, South Korea, Philippines.

2015 – US, UK (summer tour), Japan, Russia.

Based on these trends my bet would be that they will be eager to go to South Korea and the Philippines again because they seem to go each of those countries roughly every other year. Although I would not normally bet on the US, despite all selfish reasons to do so ;), the recent activity of both the Libera of the US affiliate twitter and instagram makes me think that the likelihood is much greater than zero for another US tour even though two years in a row is not normally the likely outcome.

I would also be betting on more trips to continental Europe if not this year then certainly soon because of the success they had there in 2016; though they have not established a trend of any sort in that regard. What surprises me is that they have still not done a more extensive UK tour despite the success they had in 2015. Maybe that is a likely option too?

Well enough from me! What do you think? Where will Libera be touring in 2018? :D
andmar
Silver Member

Re: 2018 Tour Speculations

Post by andmar »

You are right. I’s been very quiet around here recently. It’s a good idea to have some fun and discuss where Libera might or might not be touring in 2018.

To be honest, I’m not a big fan of speculations, which are not supported by any knowledge. On the other hand I was wondering how the Libera staff choose the tour destinations. I was thinking a bit about it and my analytical mind identified several key factors, which are certainly taken into consideration in that process. I can’t say what is the importance of each of them, so please be aware, that the order in which they are listed doesn’t mean the importance.

The factors in my opinion are:
  • Safety,
  • Money,
  • Attractiveness for the boys,
  • Prestige
  • Effort needed to organize the tour.

Even though it’s difficult to say, how important each of the factors is, there are certainly at least two boundary conditions, which mustn’t be exceeded:
  • Safety – no tour is organized to any place which could pose a risk of danger to Libera; also an already planned tour can be canceled, if such a risk arises – example: cancellation of the 2015 Korea tour because of the MERS-Virus
  • Money – in long term the profit and expenses balance must be positive or neutral for any organization. This is the condition for the organization to survive. Tours are costly and bills have to be paid, so in any case a calculation is needed if a tour can be afforded or not.
Now, few words to each of the factors.

Safety – no discussion here; the destination must be safe.

Money – it will certainly be highly appreciated if a tour brings revenue which covers or exceeds the tour costs .

Attractiveness for the boys – as we know, the boys are in focus of Libera and this is how it should be. For sure long travels to exotic countries are more attractive to the boys than visiting the neighborhood in the UK or Europe. (Imagine a choir rehearsal and RP asking: "So guys, where do we want to go for a tour next summer: to California or to Holland/Germany/Poland/Hungary....". What will be the answer? What do you think? )

Prestige – taking part in important events and/or being noticed by large audiences is essential for marketing purposes. I think, the prestige of taking part in the World Youth Days in Krakow in 2016 was the deciding factor, which made that tour happen.

Effort needed to organize the tour – there are always so many things around a tour which care must be taken for: advertising, venue hire, accommodation, meals, transportation, outings, other activities. It’s a huge amount of work which must be done. Having someone locally to organize all the things is probably essential for a successful tour.

So, what are the chances for Libera tour here or there in 2018? We can try to estimate each aspect and compare possible destinations.

I’m sorry, if you got bored reading my post. My academic background came to the fore and made me prepare this kind of... hmmmm, lecture? :oops:
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

I'd love for them to come back to Washington for a weekend performance so that I might attend.

How about southern Europe, i.e., Spain, France, Italy?
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

The Far East tours are fully sponsored - if invited they will probably go.
European and North America tours cost money and require up-front funding from supporters.
Dig deep.
kinda_k00l
Silver Member

Post by kinda_k00l »

Well, some of people's points here match with mine.

Based on the 'trend' Surpinto posted above, it is likely that this year could be South Korea/The Philippines. I also did some research before and it did think it made sense. I mean, the chance of them getting sponsored to go there is not low at all.

As a matter of fact, the politics situation in The Philippines is not really good at the moment. If this continues to 2018, I won't want them to go (even if it is really likely for me to go to there to see their concerts - no visa needed).

About South Korea, it seems like there's no big problem. So maybe a tour for them, and some concerts for me? :roll:

I think another US tour is possible, providing the Libera US is surely working really hard right now, and the boys' visas are probably still validated. :wink:

European tour... I don't have any ideas about this. Maybe!?

Just a personal scrabbling: it would be best for me if they go to Singapore once more. But it is really unlikely... How about Vietnam then? :lol:
Aliens: What does the humankind have that can be given out for the sake of the universe?
Me: *shows LIBERA, KALAFINA & DULCIS VOX :lol:*
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

I'd love to see them in concert at the York Minster. On my doorstep would be a concert at the Bridgewater Hall in Manchester (very good for acoustics), or the Cathedral. It's been a few years since I've seen them in the UK.

Overseas, Philippines is a favourite but probably in October around half term. As others have said it's all about the money, and who can trim the costs down as far as possible for the Libera touring party.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

I like your analysis andmar. You are correct that any tour plans must take those factors into account. My only point of content would be concerning the attractiveness of the location to the choristers. Because they come from a variety of backgrounds we cannot readily say what sort travel experience they have. Even visiting neighboring Canada would have been a fun adventure when I was a child so do not underestimate the interest that could be had in such locations. Their touring windows are limited and so I think this probably plays less of a role than the more pragmatic and financial factors. As an example, they returned to Japan several times in quick succession doing fairly similar things.

Based on past history, it seems fairly certain that at least one tour in East Asia will happen though.
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:22 pm">6 years ago</span> My only point of content would be concerning the attractiveness of the location to the choristers. Because they come from a variety of backgrounds we cannot readily say what sort travel experience they have. Even visiting neighboring Canada would have been a fun adventure when I was a child so do not underestimate the interest that could be had in such locations.
I agree, but if they have a choice - to visit Europe or to visit the other side of the world, they probably will choose the more exotic travel - as an opportunity to visit places where they possibly wouldn't be able to travel otherwise.

Anyway, these are still our speculations only. :)
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

JimmyRiddle wrote: <span title="Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:56 pm">6 years ago</span> I'd love to see them in concert at the York Minster.
We are talking a huge audience capacity at the Minster - I think (outside of Yankee Stadium & their guest appearances at RAH) it could well have the biggest potential audience capacity of anywhere they have been (I'll get shot down in flames now by somebody with access to a database :lol: ) but I think I've read it can hold upto 4000 people - some of that would be in the quire and some would be lost to setting up a stage outside the choir but still, a lot of seats...
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

I'm not good at speculating. Only at wishing. :?
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

So perhaps this may affect something in our speculating. Once in a while Libera does a tour in February, well this year we know that won't be happening. I just got an automated email from Libera, as did many of you I'm sure if you're on their mailing list, and it contained holiday greetings as well as the following phrase:
We look forward to seeing you in 2018. Our first concert will be at Ely Cathedral on 12th May.
So while this does not tell us too much about their future plans it at least eliminates our need to speculate about anything sooner than the May concert in Ely.
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

So no Easter tour this year, that’s the first time they haven’t toured then in awhile.
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Not that large while ago, there was no Easter tour either last year (2017) :wink:
The first concert of the year was already in Ely.

If they repeat last year timing, then perhaps they will tour on the last week of May, for the 3rd mid terms break ?
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:05 pm">6 years ago</span> Not that large while ago, there was no Easter tour either last year (2017) :wink:
The first concert of the year was already in Ely.

If they repeat last year timing, then perhaps they will tour on the last week of May, for the 3rd mid terms break ?
What a bad fan I am 😂😂

I honestly didn’t even notice they didn’t tour last Easter.
TimS_TheToolman

Post by TimS_TheToolman »

What do y'all think of the possibility that Libera would do a U.S. tour two years in a row?