Speculation about a New Album in 2017

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

Do you think there will be new music released in in 2017?

Yes, a full album will probably be released.
47%
Yes, but not a full album. Singles and mini-albums of some sort will probably be released.
47%
No.
7%

Total votes: 15

Surpinto
Platinum Member

Speculation about a New Album in 2017

Post by Surpinto »

While there is no information, at least to my knowledge, on when a new album is to be released, I have been wondering as to whether 2017 will be a year they do in fact release a new, full album. There has been no full studio album since 2011's The Christmas Album and the last full, non-studio album was the live recording Libera in America released in 2015. It seems highly unlikely that anything will be released before the end of 2016 so I wanted to focus attention on discussions of 2017 :wink:

While there have been a few singles ("What a Wonderful World", "America", and "Angel") and mini-albums (The Holiday EP, Jupiter, and the longer Angel album), across all of these only three previously unrecorded songs were featured: "Angel", "Home", and "Santa Will Find You". I underline this not to disparage any of these albums or songs, but to emphasize that, in my opinion, they are definitely coming due to release some new music! :D

However, someone looking at it from another angle :roll:, may see the scarcity of original songs, or never before recorded songs, as being indicative that a new album is not likely because new material is lacking. In fact, of the three completely brand new songs released that I listed, two of three were composed by Takatsugu Muramatsu and the third song was a pop song by Mindy Smith; all three arranged for Libera by Robert Prizeman. Of course these are not bad developments as several of the Muramatsu songs, as arranged for Libera, have been very popular among fans, and certainly the re-recordings of some earlier songs were fantastic to hear, but there just may not be enough material for a new album. Therefore, although they may seem to be due for a new full album, there may not be enough new music to justify such an album, and they will continue releasing singles and mini-albums in 2017.

So depending upon your perspective....
  1. A new, full album may be extremely likely.

or perhaps
  2. There will be no album in 2017 and they will release another mini-album or single.

or maybe
  3. They will skip 2017 with regards to new music and focus instead on a release in 2018.
What do you all think? :D
alcesalcesobservator
Silver Member

Re: Speculation about a New Album in 2017

Post by alcesalcesobservator »

It would be nice to hear some compositions from the alumni.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

I don't know. Is there a sufficient quantity of new material to warrant a new album?
hiskeys
Silver Member

Post by hiskeys »

There's also I'm Dreaming of Home and the Chinese song about the moon, but there might be copyright issues with those. Also, How Great Thou Art, Amazing Grace, and Wayfarin' Stranger might be nice with a studio version (where Robert could get exactly the sounds he has in his head), although perhaps with different soloists by then.

It might be nice to have another fine Latin piece by Prizeman again (it's been a while, and that's where their 'persona' really fits). Something like Adoro Te, in the general neighborhood of:

Or maybe Robert and/or Sam could pull off another classical adaptation with some inspirational lyrics, like Sanctus, the Fountain, etc.

All in all, they had a pretty busy (and expensive) 2016, so I imagine we shouldn't expect miracles without money from our favorite volunteer vocal group!
Liesma

Post by Liesma »

I heard somewhere, that they sang "Nearer my God to thee", so I think it would be nice to hear it from Libera in recording - as I have never heard this song in Liberas performance.

And, off course, it could be nice to hear some old songs in new arrangment (with new soloists...)!
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

It's true that Mr. Prizeman signature creations involved works in Latin, particularly his works taking Latin phrases from works of worship and turning them into something new. Examples would be "Sanctus", "Libera", etc. I'm certain that there are plenty of segments from Anglican or Catholic worship that could likewise be turned into Libera masterpieces.
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

The release of a new album may have taken a step closer today...

Michael Stert on twitter has suggested one of the songs could be 'The Three Ravens'

I can't see anything major being released this side of crimbo, so possibly next year?
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

JimmyRiddle wrote:The release of a new album may have taken a step closer today...

Michael Stert on twitter has suggested one of the songs could be 'The Three Ravens'

I can't see anything major being released this side of crimbo, so possibly next year?
The three ravens? Are they recording for Game of Thrones!

Well, it seems like an interesting choice of song, can't see it myself but you never know I suppose:

If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Yorkie wrote:The three ravens? Are they recording for Game of Thrones!

Well, it seems like an interesting choice of song, can't see it myself but you never know I suppose:
Mmm... Game of Thrones, I had not even made that connection. Then again I'm not really into it, although I know how popular it is.

This is a mirror-reverse image of the music Gregor has in his hands and the connection M.Stert made on twitter. The more I look at it, the more I think he's right.

My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

It certainly does look like that doesn't it. I guess the recording doesn't have to be for a Libera album does it. Could be for a film or TV show, although if that was the case I would expect to see other studio type people in the photos....

By the way I hope whomever took the photo and posted it on Twitter doesn't get in to trouble for giving away the song info!
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

I think it would be great if Libera arranged and recorded an album of traditional English songs.
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

TullyBascombe wrote:I think it would be great if Libera arranged and recorded an album of traditional English songs.
Hey Nonny No! Don't you think a whole album might be too much. What would you include?