Name five musical pieces which you would like Robert

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

dani
Diamond Member

Name five musical pieces which you would like Robert

Post by dani »

Prizeman or his team to arrange ?

John i have taken your suggestion and then opened a new thread :)

i hope you do not mind
john45
Gold Member

Re: Name five musical pieces which you would like Robert

Post by john45 »

Not at all.

I'll repeat my choices here to start the ball rolling.

Totus Tuus (Gorecki)
Adagio (Barber)
Adagietto from 5th Symphony (Mahler)
Halleluliah (Leonard Cohen)
Song for Athene (Tavener)
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Interesting question. I'm no expert in music and my lack of musical training and ability mostly inhibits me from imagining an instrumental, classical piece as a choral arrangement. I would say that another Mozart piece would sound amazing in RP's capable hands, as Ave Virgo has, even if I could not hope to name one. So being boring and unimaginative, I can only call to mind several better known choral hymns I would love to hear arranged for them to sing such as "Guide Me O Thou Great Redeemer" and "The Holy City". The Libera versions of traditional hymns tend to be the best versions I have ever heard.

Having said that, much of their best music has been original composition by RP. So I would just as well have that! :D

Sorry I could not list 5 Dani! But I am incredibly interested in what others will answer.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

john45 wrote:Not at all.

I'll repeat my choices here to start the ball rolling.

Totus Tuus (Gorecki)
Adagio (Barber)
Adagietto from 5th Symphony (Mahler)
Halleluliah (Leonard Cohen)
Song for Athene (Tavener)
The problem is you have picked 4 of my favourite choral pieces and the other one is a classic (as sung by Jeff Buckley, the original version by Leonard Cohen is meugh). But all things considered my favourite Libera pieces are those created by RP.

[BBvideo 425,350][/BBvideo]

If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

I am lousy at stuff like this so i stole this off Yorkie on Twitter but it fits in with them doing American Folk Songs so they should take this suggestion and own it :lol: :lol: :lol:

O Shenandoah

labbie

Post by labbie »

"Hallelujah" by Leonard Cohen would not be an appropriate song for Libera to perform. While it may have a beautiful melody, the lyrics refer to adult romantic relationships, and their content is definitely not appropriate for young boys to perform. I won't post a link, but I will leave it to those interested to look up the words themselves.
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

labbie wrote:"Hallelujah" by Leonard Cohen would not be an appropriate song for Libera to perform. While it may have a beautiful melody, the lyrics refer to adult romantic relationships, and their content is definitely not appropriate for young boys to perform. I won't post a link, but I will leave it to those interested to look up the words themselves.
I have seen it performed by the British Columbia Boys Choir and also the Tewkesbury Abbey Schola Cantorum.
I believe they all survived the experience and were unharmed by the words.
labbie

Post by labbie »

Really? I would have thought that the content was too mature for a children's choir, but that's just my opinion. Unless, of course, it was the edited version that was used in the movie "Shrek". I just found it on YouTube, and the more mature lyrics have been edited out. Perhaps the choirs used that version.
hiskeys
Silver Member

Post by hiskeys »

Interesting question - I certainly have enjoyed Robert's creations (as well as Sam's recent arrangements), and hope that he will be encouraged to continue to find fresh inspiration. But in the meantime, here's five possibilities, in no particular order:

Ola Gjeilo's The Ground is a nice piece, and being in Latin, reflects Libera's roots and persona.

Pilgrim Hymn by Stephen Paulus has some nice harmonies, and it could be a nice group song, not requiring a soloist to be 'on their game' that evening.

The Mansions of the Lord by Nick Glennie-Smith is a popular military/memorial piece, and Libera (or Robert) seems to have a special affinity for this genre.

And for a couple of traditional hymns, there's What Wondrous Love Is This, with it's plaintive sound, similar to Wayfarin' Stranger. This arrangement has some different harmonies as it goes along.

O Love That Will Not Let Me Go is another popular song that I believe could be 'Libera-ized' (although not with the rich deep harmonies shown here; I thought this was a bold arrangement.)

Cheers -
LuxVenit
Silver Member

Post by LuxVenit »

I love the hymns that seem to be going "out of style" now, sadly. You know, the great 4-part hymns with the awe-inspiring descants? If Libera did an album of just those "old" hymns with Robert Prizeman's touch I would buy a copy for everyone I knew! I'm Lutheran, so I don't know how many of these hymns cross over to other denominations (though I'm sure a lot of them do), but here are a bunch of my favorites, just off the top of my head. If I have time, or get ambitious I'll find videos for them too, but that might take awhile.

Beautiful Savior
Praise God From Whom All Blessings Flow
The Church's One Foundation
A Mighty Fortress
Built On The Rock
Praise To The Lord
Oh God Our Help In Ages Past

Sorry, that's more than 5. I'll stop now. Maybe I'll post again if I think of some secular pieces.
“My heart, which is so full to overflowing, has often been solaced and refreshed by music when sick and weary.” ― Martin Luther
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Wow it's great to hear Shenandoah again, I had completely forgotten about that piece.

Here's my Top 5:

1. Let It Be - The Beatles

2. Deliver Me - Sarah Brightman

3. You Raise Me Up - Josh Groban

4. Spiegel im Spiegel by Arvo Pärt - it would be very interesting to hear what RP/Sam Coates can come up with using the basic theme of Spiegel im Spiegel, similar to Ave Virgo or even Air (Bach). I think the piece suits the Libera voices and style of singing really well.

5. Last Of The Mohicans theme (here in an adaptation by the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards)

Also songs by John Denver could work out really well I think - continuing the American journey...
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
alcesalcesobservator
Silver Member

Post by alcesalcesobservator »

LuxVenit wrote:I love the hymns that seem to be going "out of style" now, sadly. You know, the great 4-part hymns with the awe-inspiring descants? If Libera did an album of just those "old" hymns with Robert Prizeman's touch I would buy a copy for everyone I knew! I'm Lutheran, so I don't know how many of these hymns cross over to other denominations (though I'm sure a lot of them do), but here are a bunch of my favorites, just off the top of my head. If I have time, or get ambitious I'll find videos for them too, but that might take awhile.

Beautiful Savior
Praise God From Whom All Blessings Flow
The Church's One Foundation
A Mighty Fortress
Built On The Rock
Praise To The Lord
Oh God Our Help In Ages Past

Sorry, that's more than 5. I'll stop now. Maybe I'll post again if I think of some secular pieces.
I'd buy an album of hymns! I think this would be good "Liberaized", and would make use of the back row: [BBvideo 425,350][/BBvideo] I can't think of any others right now.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Didn't Libera do "You Raise Me Up" in the early 2000's?

The "last of the Mohicans" an "Spiegel im Spiegel" have no words.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

TullyBascombe wrote:Didn't Libera do "You Raise Me Up" in the early 2000's?

The "last of the Mohicans" an "Spiegel im Spiegel" have no words.
Re: You Raise Me Up - All I could find was a version of Aled Jones and Joe Platt:

Re: music not having words - Robert used instrumental pieces before to make a Libera song - for instance for Luminosa and Ave Virgo. And mind you, Air still has no words! :)
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

True, but the "Last of the Mohicans" sounds like it was literally written to be the overture to a movie.

"May It Be" would be good, so would "Gabriel's Oboe / On Earth As In Heaven" from "The Mission."

I'd like to hear them sing "El Condor Pasa."