Important: Information from Steven Philipp (Libera Chairman)

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

carina_gino20
Platinum Member

Re: Important: Information from Steven Philipp (Libera Chair

Post by carina_gino20 »

JimmyRiddle wrote:Interesting thoughts everyone. It wasn't even a planned interview from what I read, so all the more impressive that craig remembered so much of the conversation. I wonder if he was taking notes like a journalist lol

Still intrigued about the reasons why a trip to China was cancelled. Now if they could tap into that market like they have in Japan. Wow - that would put a smile on EMI's marketing face.

Shame about the low turnout for Chicago, I would have thought the response they received at Moody Church may have enticed some of them to attend the evening concert. Financial times are difficult for everyone at the moment, so it's a shame that Libera are seeking financial support on the rebound of a world recession. I hope everything irons itself out, because if the stunning vocal group we all witnessed at the Moody Church cannot tour anymore it would be a sad state of affairs for all concerned.

P.S. I didn't know 'Eoghan' was pronounced as 'Owen' - I always thought it was pronounced like the Energy Company 'Eon' lol - glad that's been clarified!
Thanks for sharing it here, Jimmy. A very nice, interesting interview indeed. All the more because it was impromptu.

There's a little bit of disconnect with how Libera is marketed and the reality of their financial affairs. While they do say that they are not for profit, the albums make the casual audience think that they are receiving a lot in royalties. I hope there is a way to ease this somehow for them. Such immense beauty shouldn't die just because of lack of money.

I guess one reason why they still come off as very down to earth (except in Asia where they are rock stars 8) ) is because the tour really is a very grassroots kind of affair. It makes me all the more grateful of the generosity of these local coordinators and of the boys' parents and everyone who make all these concerts possible.

And yay for the pronunciation of Eoghan! I was wondering about that.haha.
"I'm drowning here, and you're describing the water!" - Melvin Udall

Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Very interesting and it does answer some of our questions. One thing that it doesn't explain though is a change in policy last year. Libera had stopped M&G's some time previously and I don't have an issue with it, their choice. But they did allow a brief 'curtain call' after the show where the boys stayed on the stage and people could take photo's. This stopped after Bristol. There were no special security arrangements needed and no issues about requiring another room - the boys were on stage and the fans remained off stage. Nothing in the interview would explain why that stopped.

Maarten, perhaps you need to seek out Mr Philipp for your next interview?
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
javerylibe

Post by javerylibe »

Yorkie wrote:Very interesting and it does answer some of our questions. One thing that it doesn't explain though is a change in policy last year. Libera had stopped M&G's some time previously and I don't have an issue with it, their choice. But they did allow a brief 'curtain call' after the show where the boys stayed on the stage and people could take photo's. This stopped after Bristol. There were no special security arrangements needed and no issues about requiring another room - the boys were on stage and the fans remained off stage. Nothing in the interview would explain why that stopped.

Maarten, perhaps you need to seek out Mr Philipp for your next interview?
I could be entirely wrong on this, but saying that: In 2008 and 2009, the Church of England conducted a large-scale review of child safeguarding policy and procedure within church spaces, and the review led to the release of a revised, CofE-wide safeguarding policy in 2010. (This would seem to coincide with the post-Bristol death of the photocall). This policy, I believe, in some way dictates rules surrounding the taking and dissemination of photos/video of children in the church— and that certainly includes choristers. I read just yesterday (and can't find where I read it, of course) that most churches and cathedrals, if they can help it, prevent visitors from taking photos of or interacting with child choristers, full stop. Some foundations don't even show images of the choir on their websites, quite possibly for this reason.

Again, I could be absolutely wrong in this, but Mr Philipp's mention of rules surrounding the 'face-time' of the choristers reminded me of things like this.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Yorkie wrote: Maarten, perhaps you need to seek out Mr Philipp for your next interview?
I was thinking the same thing earlier ;) You know, if anything I would love to write about choral music in general and Libera in particular. It's what I do already anyway :lol: I actually wrote an open invitation to a couple of magazines in the UK that are about church music, so who knows. 'Cause that's the tough part - where to publish something. The one I did in the Netherlands pays hardly anything. All the same I want to try and make some money out of my love for choirs - and with my good English :mrgreen: You know, get paid to report on Libera's upcoming studio sessions, join them on their world tour and so on.

Javerylibe: interesting point. It struck me that both times I visited St. Philip's the boys and the men would be there rehearsing with Robert Prizeman, then get to the sacristy to change in their proper vestments, come out with the clergy at the singing of the opening hymn, and at the end of the service they would return to the sacristy, only to magically disappear - save for the odd boy chorister who went back to get something. I know the first time I was a bit bummed because Josh was there and a friend of mine had specifically asked if I could pass on his regards to Josh if he was indeed there - just to let him know he has a fan in Belgium. So all through the service I was happily (and nervously ;)) looking forward to that - and then the moment never came! Anyway, apart from that - I have always wondered where the choir went after the service. I expected them to come out and join the others having tea in the back of the church. Maybe it's a special miracle performed by Saint Philip himself :wink:
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

javerylibe wrote: I could be entirely wrong on this, but saying that: In 2008 and 2009, the Church of England conducted a large-scale review of child safeguarding policy and procedure within church spaces, and the review led to the release of a revised, CofE-wide safeguarding policy in 2010. (This would seem to coincide with the post-Bristol death of the photocall). This policy, I believe, in some way dictates rules surrounding the taking and dissemination of photos/video of children in the church— and that certainly includes choristers. I read just yesterday (and can't find where I read it, of course) that most churches and cathedrals, if they can help it, prevent visitors from taking photos of or interacting with child choristers, full stop. Some foundations don't even show images of the choir on their websites, quite possibly for this reason.

That's interesting and must play a part, thanks for the update. But that doesn't work if they still have a session when in the US or the Far East - it's all or nothing with that I would think.
javerylibe wrote:Again, I could be absolutely wrong in this, but Mr Philipp's mention of rules surrounding the 'face-time' of the choristers reminded me of things like this.
I think this statement relates to the regulations that govern working/performing children - it limits the amount of time they can 'appear' or perform in public and that applies to UK kids even if they are in the States. I read up on it a few years ago when it was given as the reason for cancelling M&G's in the UK and pointed out that the same rules that would stop it here would stop it abroad too.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

maartendas wrote:I have always wondered where the choir went after the service. I expected them to come out and join the others having tea in the back of the church. Maybe it's a special miracle performed by Saint Philip himself :wink:
Your timing must have been unfortunate, because at one time the boys did exactly that. Following service, some of them came out to the hall and had tea & chat with local parishoners. Then they got famous, and a few undesireables slithered their way out of the woodwork and caused a few of those 'incidents' that Mr Philipp hinted about....and that as they say....was the end of that.

Go go back to the Epson concert. It only takes one or two, to get over-excited and carried away and the relationship between the 'officials' and the 'fans' takes another step back.

It's always the minority that makes the headlines....it's just the way life is.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

I always stated that they was not making very much money on the cd's as they are such a small group everywhere but Japan.

Here they struggled to get more than 150-200 people at the autumn uk concerts Oct 2010. So clearly even CD wise they will not be selling that many .

Also its great that Ben's dad gave a mini interview but clearly something like that should be done " officially" on the website?! . Once again i am left totally baffled by how Libera go about things.

If they want to answer fans questions then do a Question and Answer on the website and people can send in questions and they then pick the appropriate questions to answer.
It would safe and would be monitored and clearly they know we have questions so what would be the harm in such a project and its a safe way to give back to the fans . And it means all fan bases would be involved so nobody gets excluded ( like the uk.) fan base.

And finally we have no chance of any kind of " Live DVD" anytime soon as must of us guessed as EMI will never give the go ahead for something like that when the overheads would be massive and they would not be sure of making the money back.
So the only way is like Leiden and a private tv company comes in and makes an offer .
From what i just read EMI give very little support to the group. The only ones making money are EMI and Robert Prizeman as the writer .
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

dani wrote: Also its great that Ben's dad gave a mini interview but clearly something like that should be done " officially" on the website?! . Once again i am left totally baffled by how Libera go about things.
That was my point about the meet & greets. If Libera made an official statement about that, there would be no more confusion and dashed hopes.

One reason, I think, for doing things the way they do, is they underestimate their own value. After all, the boys do it as a hobby and Libera never started out very ambitiously. If you listen to Robert Prizeman in interviews, he's always saying how it just grew to what it is today, with no set plan or anything. Also, the boys are very modest and see how special it is that they get to experience this. Not much trace of ego or wanting to be famous or anything. Which is great, part of Libera's charm is that humble nature. But the flipside of that, is that they tend to forget how much they mean to a lot of people, and forget to 'cater for their fanbase', so to speak. Just my idea.
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
Lauren
Silver Member

Post by Lauren »

Murkskis wrote:I think one can find a few indirect answers as well- I mean when a bunch of fans wanted to see the boys off- of course it's nice :D (who could deny that?) but... they had to go out without security guards (as it was mentioned they didn't have any security for the concert) and some of them as small as 7 ... Hmm, I think the sensitivity of this particular moment is very clear now.
I'd like to clarify this for you. During the Chicago concert there were several off-duty police officers present. There was no police presence for an M&G, however. As the boys left Rockefeller Chapel, there were police officers outside. The president of the University of Chicago's house is next door (west side) to Rockefeller Chapel. Beginnning at 4:00 p.m., there are always police officers stationed all along 59th Street where Libera's bus was parked. One officer was purposely stationed at Rockefeller due to the Libera concert.

I just don't want parents to think that their kids were not being protected.
http://www.mini-angels.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Craig

Post by Craig »

Hi everybody at LD! I heard my discussion writeup was being passed around and here it is! I registered to say hello.

Thanks for all the positive comments. Spending that kind of time with Mr. Philipps was quite an honor. He is a very personable man and obviously has a great love for the organization he spends his spare time supporting.

Just to clarify one of the comments -- this was not a planned interview. This was just a discussion between us that started as a simple question and ended up going into all the misconceptions us fans have. I was up all that night trying to write on paper (I don't have a laptop) all I could remember about our discussion. I wanted to get it right because I recognized the importance of what he was saying.

Asking Libera a question is not as tough as some make it out to be. There is a "Contact us" section on their website. I have used it a couple of times and they have answered. It took several days though. We need to remember that there is no professional staff waiting to answer emails. I would guess these are answered by the same people who are currently supporting the tour so peppering them with many questions wouldn't be respectful of their time. We also need to respect the fact that there are many questions they may not be willing to answer.

Anyhow, if I can clarify anything from my post let me know. I'll do my best.

Craig
Jenn
Silver Member

Post by Jenn »

Craig, obviously you've already seen how appreciate we are of you sharing that "interview" with us, but I just wanted to say thank you again!
Szepilona
Silver Member

Post by Szepilona »

Thank you so much! It certainly cleared up many questions.
viabuona
Gold Member

Post by viabuona »

Craig wrote:Hi everybody at LD! I heard my discussion writeup was being passed around and here it is! I registered to say hello.
Hi Craig, thanks for registering an welcome at Libera Dreams. Hope we will see you and your posts also from time to time in here. :D
DeProfundis130

Post by DeProfundis130 »

Libera Enthusiasts;

After a number of months of really toilsome time and effort, this day (now passed) and now late Saturday morning, I can almost identify w/the way the prospectors used to fitfully Dance around upon a Find! I only landed here a few hours ago in an effort to
respond to a request. After doing the registration and then a little site exploration etc. comes the FIND of this shared interview with who but non else than the Father of no longer "MINI-Ben". What a day for me this has been!

The interview was more than I could have asked for, I was truly at the point of lightening up and even letting go, Then Boom!
I am sure Y'all have been thru somewhat the same frustration. There is a great deal I'd love to go into , I've just been at this keyboard way too long, I merely before I quit for this session want to lay out a very few early words in these early hours of membership.

As taken as I am with Libera, and I am as sure are each and all of You, in the politest sense a Quote keep surfacing in my thoughts; Humphrey Bogart, All you owe your audience is your Performance. I am not here espousing this, merely making mention.

I Thank Y'all for the site and the discourse. And leave the rest of the story for another time.
Peace, DeProfundis130.
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Craig - Thanks for taking the time to register, and clarify a few points. Your conversation with Steven Philipp has helped those on the outside understand the difficulties and effort that goes into organising an overseas tour. It seems that tours to the East (maybe due to the demand) are favourably sponsored and financed by more reliable external sources. Where anything west of that meridian is likely to be at the mercy of funding and donations. It's just unfortunate timing that many people are feeling the squeeze themselves in this economic downturn.

I always pop into Yahoo from time to time as most of us do with many 'libera' forums. It's just the conversations are a little easier to follow on this board, and <touch wood> we've not had reason to pre-moderate the comments so far. They wouldn't last long anyway if they fell foul of best practice. The moderators are pretty much on the ball in that respect.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez